Location: Upper Marlboro, Maryland
Email: Email Me
Mr. DeCaro has been in private practice of law since November 1990, with a concentration on business law; formation, dissolution and sales of businesses; estate planning; general and tax litigation; representation before the Internal Revenue Service (audits, appeals, collection matters).
Between October 1987 and November 1990, he was a Manager for Ernst and Young, a Consulting Tax Practice, located in NW, Washington, DC. Duties included assisting clients with legislative initiatives related to their major tax issues; planning for mergers and acquisitions and reorganizations (including insolvency planning); detailed planning for, and review of sophisticated transactions; representation before the Internal Revenue Service (ruling requests and large audits). Significant business development responsibilities.
As Senior Associate of the Corporate Department for Joseph, Greenwald and Laake, PA, whose office is located in Greenbelt, MD between October 1985 through October 1987, Mr. DeCaro’s duties included estate, tax and business planning for corporation and individual clients; qualified pension plan drafting, implementation and defense; all phases of probate; federal and state tax litigation, as well as business development; client relations and other general legal practice responsibilities.
Between January 1984 and October 1985, Mr. DeCaro was an in house attorney in the Tax Department for Potomac Electric Power Company located in Washington, DC. His expertise was federal and state tax planning and research; representation in a very large federal audit where excellent results were achieved under difficult conditions. Preparation of submissions to the Board of Directors concerning tax audit settlement and qualified plan matters.
Mr. DeCaro’s duties at Manor Care, Inc. located in Silver Spring, MD February 1982 through January 1985 included Tax planning for corporate mergers and acquisitions. Major accomplishments include favorable completion of large federal audit; also tax planning to implement the complete restructuring of the company.
Between July 1979 and February 1982, Mr. DeCaro Specialized in Tax Law for the Internal Revenue Service. His development of legal positions for the IRS in situations where there was no published precedent and drafting ruling letters earned him an Official Commendation for Labor Relations project resolving EEO complaints.
Citations: Private Letter Rulings 8021074; 8021138; 8024038; 8046053; 8103067; 8103068; 8105114
Areas of Practice
- Business Law – Formation, dissolution and sales of businesses
- Bankruptcy and Business Reorganization
- Corporate Transactions
- General and Tax Litigation
- Representation before the Internal Revenue Service
- Estate Planning and Asset Protection
- Certified Legal Specialties
Certified Public Accountant, Maryland, 1985
- District of Columbia, 1978
- Maryland, 1981
- Virginia, 1992
- Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, Washington, District of Columbia
J.D. – May, 1978
- Catholic University, Washington, District of Columbia
B.A. – May, 1973
Honors: Dean’s List
Past Employment Positions
- Ernst and Young, Manager, 1987 – 1990
- Joseph, Greenwald and Laake, PA, Senior Associate, 1985 – 1987
- Potomac Electric Power Co., Attorney, 1984 – 1985
- Manor Care, Inc., Attorney, 1982 – 1984
- Internal Revenue Service, Tax Law Specialist, 1979 – 1982
- Cable TV Commissioner, City of Hyattsville, MD, Appointed by Mayor and Council, 1982 – 1985
- U.S. Department of Justice, Civil Tax Division, Intern, 1978
- Urban Institute, Housing Tax Economics Study for Joint Committee of Taxation, Intern, 1977