You Are The Foundation Of Our Success
Thomas F. DeCaro
Mr. DeCaro’s legal and accounting practice concentrates in resolving tax controversies (audit, collection, tax court), bankruptcy, estate planning, tax preparation and civil litigation in the commercial context. The firm has extensive experience with all phases of taxpayer representation including most of the litigation described in this book.
DeCaro & Howell PC was the incumbent on the B.A.T.S. government contract with the Internal Revenue Service which developed and tested the electronic filing system for tax returns. This contract involved development of tax scenarios based on tax forms in use, and creating a program to test-efile these returns using Oracle. The current IRS efiling system is based on the DeCaro & Howell input into this contract.
Mr. DeCaro gave a lecture, "A Practical Look at the Consumer Provisions of the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005 - Tax Claims" sponsored by the Maryland Bar Association, September 27, 2005.
Mr. DeCaro began his career as a tax intern with the Urban Institute advising the US Joint Committee on Taxation concerning the economic effects of the Tax Reform Act of 1976 on private investments in low income housing. He worked with the US Department of Justice Tax Division as a law clerk before moving to the Internal Revenue Service Employee Plans and Exempt Organizations Division at the National Office after becoming a member of the District of Columbia bar in 1978.
Mr. DeCaro is also a certified public accountant licensed in Maryland.
Mr. DeCaro has worked with the tax departments of Fortune 50 companies, with a large regional law firm and with the accounting firm of Ernst & Young. He is a graduate of Catholic University Columbus School of Law in Washington DC.
Mr. DeCaro is the author of The IRS Tax Litigation Desk Book - A Guide for Tax & Bankruptcy Attorneys Litigating Federal Tax Matters.
- Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, Washington, District of Columbia
- J.D. - 05/1978
- Catholic University, Washington, District of Columbia
- B.A. - 05/1973
- Honors: Dean's List
- District of Columbia, 1978
- Maryland, 1981
- Virginia, 1992
- Ernst and Young, Manager, 1987 to 1990
- Joseph, Greenwald and Laake, PA, Senior Associate, 1985 to 1987
- Potomac Electric Power Co., Attorney, 1984 to 1985
- Manor Care, Inc., Attorney, 1982 to 1984
- Internal Revenue Service, Tax Law Specialist, 1979 to 1982
- Cable TV Commissioner, City of Hyattsville, MD, Appointed by Mayor and Council, 1982 to 1985
- U.S. Department of Justice, Civil Tax Division, Intern, 1978 to 1978
- Urban Institute, Housing Tax Economics Study for Joint Committee of Taxation, Intern, 1977 to 1977
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified Public Accountant, Maryland, 1985
Current Employment Position
- Business Law - Formation, dissolution and sales of businesses
- Bankruptcy and Business Reorganization
- Corporate Transactions
- General and Tax Litigation
- Representation before the Internal Revenue Service
- Estate Planning and Asset Protection
- Certified Legal Specialties